Attorney at Law (Egypt)
Legal Counsel (Libya)
Büros: Alexandria, Tripolis
Areas of Concentration
Mr. Elmasry mainly focuses on Oil and Gas, Banking and Finance, Insurance Law, M&A, Investment Law, Capital Market and General Business Law matters in Libya.
He is acting as a counsel to national and multinational companies and financial institutions on a broad range of transactions, including joint ventures, restructurings, projects finance, M&A, tenders, IPOs, facilities guarantees and securitization, insurance disputes. Further, Mr. Elmasry advises clients with respect to compliance matters and litigation representations.
Islam is a member of the Egyptian Association Bar as well as of the Arab Lawyers Union.
Career Highlights [Recent Transactional involvements]
Mr. Elmasry represented:
- a leading international reinsurer co. in relation to the €235 million insurance claim brought by a major transport company against the insurer.
- an international corporate and investment bank, in connection with the financing arrangement of $174 million being made available to a group of Oil and Gas companies, by rendering legal advices, legal opinions and reviewing the Facility Agreement and other related corporate documents in the project finance;
- a governmental consultancy institution in the €1.7 billion international airport construction project assigned to a multinational construction consortium
- An international financial institutions on the securitization arrangement under the facilities of $38 million granted to an IOC.
- a multinational Insurance and Reinsurance consortium in the $28m claim raised for the fire incident took place at a crude storage tank the site of Libya’s largest oil refinery and a petroleum port.
- a major U.S Energy Group, the due diligence process in an international acquisition transaction of Oil and Gas companies in the MEA.
- a global leader in power and automation technologies; preparing, drafting and perfecting the Internal and Disciplinary regulations (Policy), drafting employment contracts, advices regarding corporate issues.
- Leading Construction Company in Qatar, rendering legal assistance regarding Labour, corporate and business issues.
- a leading telecom solutions provider based in China, drafting, preparing and perfecting company’s Internal Terms and Conditions and Penalties regulations, rendering legal advices regarding labour and corporate issues.
- a leading mobile phone supplier corporation, providing primary legal assistance for the Labour sector by rendering relevant advices and drafting Employment contracts.
- an international engineering & construction company, providing legal assistance by rendering Legal opinions in respect of disputes raised during the execution of a contract with the Libyan Government.
- a global financial institution based in Bahrain regarding a major Islamic finance project, providing legal advices, drafting, perfecting and executing security document in respect of facilities granted to a Cyprus company through a Master Murabaha Agreement.
- a leading international airways company providing advices regarding the labour Laws and relevant issues (preparation of the Internal and penalties regulations).
- a leading Construction company based in India, providing legal advices regarding its operations and executions in Libya.
- a multinational company leads in networking technologies, providing advices regarding the corporate governance and relevant regulations.
- a global investment banking firm on its sale of institutional business assets to a banking group operating in the Stock Exchange Market.
- MIDEAST LAW, Lawyers | Avocats | Rechtsanwälte, Of Counsel, since 2015
- Mishkat Law Firm, Egypt – Partner, since 2011
- Tumi Law Firm (in association with Dentons) – Senior Associate, since 2008
- LGLC Libya, of Counsel, since 2008
- Masry law offices, Egypt – associate, 2006 – 2009
Education & Honors
- Diploma in Private Law – School of Law – Alexandria University. Egypt
- LL.B. University of Alexandria – Egypt – School of Law English Department. Egypt
- Legal Terms and Interpretation – Programme Alexandria University
- Advocacy Programme, Egypt Bar Association.
- Civil and Commercial Arbitration Programme -Alexandria University and Egyptian Bar Association.
Admissions & Affiliations
- Egyptian Bar Association – admitted before the Court of Appeal
- Arab Lawyers Union (ALU)
Islam speaks Arabic and English fluently.
- “Mortgage Arrangement on Vessels” – published: School of Law Lib- Alexandria University 2012.
- “Collaterals of Lender under the Real Estate Finance” – published: School of Law Lib. – Alexandria University 2012.
- “Money Laundering, Asset Forfeiture and Recovery and Compliance” – published: Lexis Nexis legal publications 2011;
- “Merger of Corporations” – published: School of Law Lib. – Alexandria University 2011.
- “Defective Contract” – published: School of Law Lib. – Alexandria University 2008.