Our Regional Experience
Lawyers at MIDEAST LAW have practical experience working in the Middle East, including Iran, offering unique knowledge of the region’s legal systems and their traditional and emerging markets.
Below you find a list of representative matters handled by our lawyers in the MENA region, including Iran:
- Advising on establishing as well as dissolving branch offices and subsidiaries in Arab and Iranian jurisdictions, including licensing and related issues on labour, tax, customs law and social security.
- Advised major pharmaceutical company on setting up a pan-Arab distribution system.
- Advised two major Japanese motor corporations on distributorship issues in the Near and Middle East.
- Advised on the development of energy projects, including power, oil, gas, LNG and NGL projects.
- Advised on the establishment of a pan-Arab music television channel.
- Legal adviser to a German mechanical engineering group on commercial agency issues in the Maghreb states.
Abu Dhabi, Emirate of
- Co-represented a main contractor against a sub-contractor in Arbitration under ADCCAC rules seated in Abu Dhabi for a claim of US$ 12M resulting from a breach of a sub-contract for aluminum and glass works.
- Acted for a claimant/governmental client in an ICC Arbitration seated in Abu Dhabi against a national oil company for a monetary claim (US$ 8M) resulting from breach of a Production Sharing Contract.
- Advised on a turnkey contract for the erection of a textile plant in Abu Dhabi.
- Advised and represented a closed investment funds on various legal aspects related to the financing and construction of a general hospital and vascular clinic in Abu Dhabi, including corporate issues.
- Advised foreign investors on white-collar crimes related to investor’s projects and financial fraud.
- Advised largest German formwork and scaffolding company on setting up a trading company in Abu Dhabi, including pre-registration with ADNOC.
- Advised Kuwaiti Logistic Company on various corporate matters in Abu Dhabi, including license issues.
- Advising global system provider for petrol stations on public tendering with ADNOC.
- Advised sponsors of an LNG project: negotiating project documents, LNG shipping arrangements, and natural gas off-take contracts.
- Advised U.S. producer on distributorship agreement for military and commercial vehicles in the Emirate.
- Advised German Solar Energy Company on setting up a group of entities to serve the regional market.
- Advised various subsidiaries on debt collection and court claims in the Emirate.
- Advised individuals and companies on local labour contracts for managers and personnel and labour disputes.
- Advised and negotiated for a number of premium galley producer and aircraft interiors suppliers on supply and maintenance agreements with Etihad (and dozens of other airlines worldwide).
- Advised national utility in connection with preparation of agreements for natural gas-fueled project.
- Advised a foreign investor on a Contract of Association in the gas sector.
- Advised an Arab bank based in Frankfurt/Main on credit line agreements and credit facilities with a major Algerian bank and Algerian oil companies.
- Advised formwork and scaffolding producer in setting up a trading company with 70% foreign ownership and related tax, foreign exchange and custom issues.
- Represented a global financial institution based in Bahrain regarding a major Islamic finance project, providing legal advices, drafting, perfecting and executing security document in respect of facilities granted to a Cyprus company through a Master Murabaha Agreement.
- Advised leading German company in the markets for automotive components and defense equipment in drafting and negotiating training services agreements with the National Institute for Industrial Training.
- Advised foreign private investors on real estate projects, including visa issues.
- Representing German manufacturer of roofing materials, specialized in machine formed profiles on agency agreement.
Dubai, Emirate of
- Defended a client in an ICC Arbitration seated in New York against a monetary claim (US$ 13M) resulting from repossession of two executive aircrafts.
- Co-represented a real estate company in launching proceedings against a master developer for re-possession of land worth US$ 100M.
- Represented a client against a real estate developer in an Arbitration under DIAC rules seated in Dubai for a claim resulting from off-plan sale and purchase agreement (Claim for US$ 1M).
- Represented a Claimant in a DIAC Arbitration seated in Dubai against a contractor for monetary damages (US$ 0.5M) resulting form breach of an interior design contract.
- Acted for an insurance company against an insurer in mediation that led to a satisfactory settlement of a claim worth of f US$ 3M.
- Defended an insurance company against a claim arising of Bankers Blanket Bond Coverage seeking coverage for a loss of US$ 10M.
- Defended a transportation and carrier services company against a multi-national energy company in respect to a claim for damages of cargo worth of US$ 6M.
- Acted for a European national against ex-Husband in a real estate dispute concerning ownership of a luxury villa worth of US$ 10M.
- Represented a debtor in restoring shares worth of US$ 4M against a bank that were acquired and sold to a third party.
- Acted for a logistics company with an annual turnover of US$ 50M in uncovering a fraudulent ring in its upper management and successfully terminating the employment without incurring unfair dismissal compensation.
- Defended a main contractor against a claim of US$ 15M for vacating construction site.
- Advised German automations and Software Company on capital participation offering for superior CNG cylinder systems for production line in Jebel Ali.
- Advised and negotiated for a number of premium galley producer and aircraft interiors suppliers on supply and maintenance agreements with Emirates Airlines and dozens of other airlines worldwide.
- Advised and negotiated for premium galley producer and aircraft interiors suppliers on agreement relating to the design, development, manufacture, supply and support of galley modules for the A350XWB aircraft program with Airbus with the value of EUR 1 billion.
- Advised local and international pharmaceutical companies regarding compliance and legal aspects of doing business in the UAE and MENA region.
- Advised numerous international clients on set up of business entities in the sectors of architecture, engineering, media, energy (Oil&Gas and Solar) and car supply, advising on all aspects of corporate and commercial law, incl. establishing subsidiaries in Dubai, its Free Zones and other Emirates of the UAE.
- Providing of several market studies for entering the region, e.g. automobile-, energy- and solar industry.
- Advised a major German software producer in the acquisition and integration of a local subsidiary of an international company based in Ireland and France.
- Represented the bank syndicate in a US$ 45 million financing for the construction of a water sewage treatment plant and pump station.
- Advised on a concession agreement regarding a sea vessel-generated waste on a B.O.T. basis.
- Represented the Egyptian Shareholders in the Sale Purchase Agreement (SPA) of their shares in an Egyptian technology company to a French Company. This representation included the negotiation and the drafting of the SPA and all related agreements. Also, the Office achieved the completion arrangements including the Extraordinary General Meeting and the General Meeting, the amendments of the Article of Association, the recording of the shareholders ledgers for the transfer of the shares, and the commercial registry amendments.
- A judgment was rendered by the South Cairo First Instant Court in favor of our client, in regards of a claim for a huge amount of US$ 20,008,000 (twenty million and eight thousands USD) as indemnity for a boat accident. We succeeded in the appeal case to reduce the indemnity amount of US$ 20,000 (twenty thousands US Dollars).
- Our lawyers established legal entities in Egypt for foreign direct investments such as Pertonas Egypt (branch), Parsons Egypt (LLC), Alan Dick North Africa (LLC), Schick Egypt (LLC), Coface Egypt (SAE), and Bostik Egypt (SAE). In addition, the office established a huge number of companies established by Egyptians.
- We negotiated and drafted many hotel management agreements and hotel lease agreements on behalf of owners and operators.
- We negotiated and drafted many hotel management termination agreements and hotels lease agreements on behalf of hotels and operators in Sharm.
- We succeeded in repossessing a hotel after being invaded by the owner during the lease term and collected an indemnity amount for the operator due to a favorable arbitration award.
- We succeeded in settling many court cases and arbitration cases between owners and hotel operators one of them was filed before the London Court of International Arbitration. In addition, we helped our client to overcome the touristic crisis in the last 3 years following the revolution by helping them to renegotiate their lease and management agreements prior resorting to the courts or the arbitration.
- We succeeded to win the case filed against a large Swiss bank for an amount of US$ 14 million in a record of time.
- We finalized the sale purchase agreement of a large hotel company in Sharm to an Arab consortium for the amount of US$ 80 million.
- We were appointed by a hotel chain to review all its labor regulations and agreements to conform with the applicable standards applied by the Hotel multinational companies.
- We conducted all due diligence for: (i) the assets purchased as well as drafted the ‘asset purchase agreement’ on behalf of Coface Egypt, a subsidiary of the French Company Coface; and (ii) WABAG Ltd. for purchasing an Egyptian – German joint venture company in the filed of potable water plants.
- The Office represented Hard Rock Egypt for the negotiation and the draft of the Hard rock Café Restaurant franchise agreement with the American franchisor Hard rock International. In addition, we drafted the restaurant lease agreements between Hard rock Egypt and the restaurant owners.
- We negotiated on behalf of the Egyptian party in regards to a shareholder agreement and other related agreements such as a trademark license agreement, a lease agreement and exclusivity agreement for the incorporation of a joint company venture with an Italian company (Pelliconi Egypt).
- We acted as a local counselor to Edison International regarding the Petroleum Concession Agreements for the AbuQir field. This concession agreement was described by the Minister of Petroleum as “the Deal of the Century”. Edison paid to the Egyptian Government an amount of 1.4 billion US Dollars as a grant.
- We handled all labor, supply, and concession agreements (advise and court cases) for many operating hotels in Egypt such as the Marriott, Intercontinental hotels, and other local operators.
- We advised a leading German construction company subcontracting with ORASCOM CONSTRUCTION for foundation works under the Suez Canal and the construction of three tunnels.
- We represented a German model-making firm in a Management “Buy-Out” of its Egyptian subsidiary selling 90% of the shares.
- Advised and negotiated for global producer, marketer and provider of technology-based natural ingredients, ingredient systems and integrated solutions for the food and beverage industry on USD 7 million share purchase agreement (acquisition) of Egyptian producer of natural fruit concentrates, pulps and compounds, including due diligence.
- Advised an international railway consultancy company on a consultancy agreement with Egyptian National Railway (ENR) related.
- Advised engineering company, a subsidiary to a major power generating company in Germany, on Contract for Operation & Maintenance Services with Egyptian Electricity Company, incl. the secondment of personnel.
- Advised utility on Long-Term Technical and Commercial Assistance Agreement with Egyptian Electricity Production Company.
- Advised the Egyptian Electricity Authority (“EEA”), Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation, and Ministry of Finance on legal and regulatory reforms to facilitate private ownership of power projects. Tasks include review of Egyptian law to examine existing impediments to BOOT projects, drafting of revisions to law, and preparation of the request for proposals, including forms of power purchase, fuel supply, ground lease, and implementation agreement.
- Represented EEA in preparation of the request for proposals and negotiation of the power purchase and ground lease agreements for the 650 MW gas-fired Sidi Krir project,
- Represented EEA and EGPC in negotiation of documents to facilitate the project financing of the Sidi Krir project.
- Advised EEA and the fuel suppliers in negotiation of documents to facilitate the project financing in the preparation of the request for proposals for the 650 MW gas-fired Port Said East and 650 MW gas-fired Suez Gulf power projects. Negotiated power purchase and lease agreements for both projects. Represented EEA and the fuel suppliers in negotiation of documents to facilitate the project financing of both projects.
- Drafted a loan agreement between German-Arab bank and Egyptian Cement Company.
- Advised a beverage company on the purchase of shares of Egyptian Joint Stock Company.
- Advised on establishing company and drafting financial lease agreement regarding construction equipment in Egypt under the Investment Law No. 8/1997.
- Represented the engineer contractor in a bid for governmental advisors and currently advising the Egyptian Government in reviewing tenders for several B.O.T. motorways.
- Advised German Company on the acquisition of majority shares of an Egyptian joint stock company listed on the Cairo and Alexandria Stock Exchange (CASE).
- Represented ComCor before Court of Appeal in Cairo.
- Setting-up and liquidating numerous branch offices and subsidiaries under exclusive foreign or foreign majority or minority ownership in Tehran, Shiraz and Isfahan, as well as on Kish Island.
- Advised global producer, marketer and provider of technology-based natural ingredients, ingredient systems and integrated solutions for the food and beverage industry on the restructuring of their subsidiaries and branches, incl. replacement of the local management.
- Advised and negotiated for largest European manufacturer of wood-cased pencils, pens, mechanical pencil leads, erasers and modeling clays in sale and transfer of majority shares (53%) in Iranian joint-venture company to Iranian partners.
- Advised German, Swiss and Russian steel traders on international trade sanction rules against Iran.
- Advised global producer, marketer and provider of technology-based natural ingredients, ingredient systems and integrated solutions for the food and beverage industry on USD 2 mio. claim against an Iranian beer brewer and negotiated settlement agreement.
- Advised international IT-Developer on software infringements caused by an Iranian car producer.
- Advised Canadian transportation Signal Company on multi-million joint venture with Iranian and Chinese partners.
- Advised producer of welding and cutting machines on non-exclusive Authorized Dealership Contract.
- Drafting technical assistance agreement and supply agreement for German producer of cladding systems for facades with Iranian Licensee.
- Advised German subsidiary of French Energy & Electricity Company on tender regulations and construction contract with Tehran Province Water & Waste Water Co. subject to Iranian law.
- Advised German Commercial Company on Agreement with Uhde GmbH regarding purchase and sale of a used gasoline refinery.
- Drafted Letter of Intend for German Investor with Lichtgitter for foreign direct investment concerning production and application techniques in the field of “gratings” and “perforated metal planks”.
- Advised traditional Swiss Mining Company regarding exploitation of calcium carbonate in Iran.
- Advised German Producer of Manipulators on dispute regarding the recovery of a Performance Guarantee from Machine Sazi Arak Co.
- Advised a consortium of German banks in structuring several commodity & trade finance deals involving an Iranian aluminum producer and Swiss off-taker – loan agreement including all collateral agreements and instruments.
- Advised a consortium of German banks on assignment and assumption agreement and consent involving Iranian sellers and Swiss and French buyers.
- Advised major German airline passenger service company in public tender and negotiated public works contract with the Iman Khomeini International Airport Authority (new international airport of Tehran)
- Drafted lease contracts for German Company for logging services with National Iranian Drilling Company (NIDC) regarding mudd-logging units in Iran.
- Advised German stationery articles producer on joint venture with Iranian Joint Stock Company.
- Advised German machinery producer in supply agreement with Iranian Purchaser.
- Advised one of the leading manufacturers of labels for the drinking industry and manufacturer of flexible packaging for the food and luxury food industry on technical assistance agreement with Iranian Licensee.
- Advised the Government of the Kingdom of Jordan in a multi-phase assignment that will result in the procurement of 300 MW of new capacity. Review the legal and regulatory framework applicable to foreign investment in the power sector, preparation of recommended changes to laws and regulations to facilitate development and financing of new power projects, and drafting of the implementation agreement, power purchase agreement, and fuel supply agreement.
- Representing a contractor joint venture regarding the supply and laying of a wastewater conveyor in Jordan, As-Samra Wastewater Project.
- Advising major Japanese motorcycle producer on spot based sales purchase agreement.
- Advising German Supplier on Supply Agreement of water pipes and pumps for water scheme project.
- Advising German producer of industrial sales on importer’s agreement with Jordanian trader.
- Representing Kuwaiti commercial group as commercial agent for Anglo-German civil aviation industry in the GCC-States.
- Representing German diet-food producer on franchise agreement.
- Advising a major German construction company on establishing a joint venture company for the execution of a desalination and power plant with Kuwaiti partner.
- Advised Chief Operation Officer of leading wholesale cash & carry market on employment agreement with Kuwaiti owner and termination of the same.
- Advising German laboratories producer on joint venture with its local agent in securing a contract with Chinese general contractor for the construction of Kuwait University.
- Advised the Counsel for Development and Reconstruction, an agency of the Lebanese Government, in connection with the Northern Highway Periphique toll road project.
- Currently in discussions with the Counsel for Development and Reconstruction in connection with arbitration involving the Beirut International Airport.
- Legal advice regarding tenders for water sewage treatment plants and negotiation on public works contracts.
- Represented a leading international reinsurer co. in relation to the €235 million insurance claim brought by a major transport company against the insurer.
- Represented an international corporate and investment bank, in connection with the financing arrangement of $174 million being made available to a group of Oil and Gas companies, by rendering legal advices, legal opinions and reviewing the Facility Agreement and other related corporate documents in the project finance;
- Represented a governmental consultancy institution in the €1.7 billion international airport construction project assigned to a multinational construction consortium.
- Represented an international financial institutions on the securitization arrangement under the facilities of $38 million granted to an IOC.
- Represented a multinational Insurance and Reinsurance consortium in the $28m claim raised for the fire incident took place at a crude storage tank the site of Libya’s largest oil refinery and a petroleum port.
- Represented a major U.S Energy Group, the due diligence process in an international acquisition transaction of Oil and Gas companies in the MEA.
- Represented a global leader in power and automation technologies; preparing, drafting and perfecting the Internal and Disciplinary regulations (Policy), drafting employment contracts, advices regarding corporate issues.
- Represented a leading telecom solutions provider based in China, drafting, preparing and perfecting company’s Internal Terms and Conditions and Penalties regulations, rendering legal advices regarding labour and corporate issues.
- Represented a leading mobile phone supplier corporation, providing primary legal assistance for the Labour sector by rendering relevant advices and drafting Employment contracts.
- Represented an international engineering & construction company, providing legal assistance by rendering Legal opinions in respect of disputes raised during the execution of a contract with the Libyan Government.
- Representing a leading international airways company providing advices regarding the labour Laws and relevant issues (preparation of the Internal and penalties regulations.
- Representing a leading Construction company based in India, providing legal advices regarding its operations and executions in Libya.
- Representing a multinational company leads in networking technologies, providing advices regarding the corporate governance and relevant regulations.
- Representing a global investment banking firm on its sale of institutional business assets to a banking group operating in the Stock Exchange Market.
- Advised a medical group regarding the establishment of a hospital in Oman, including advice on labour and tax law.
- Advised various international companies for setting up subsidiaries or branches in Oman, including handling of set up and post set up legal support.
- Represented a leading Construction Company in Qatar, rendering legal assistance regarding Labour, corporate and business issues.
- Advised sponsors on all aspects of construction, development and implementation of LNG project.
- Giving advice on all aspects of setting up a pan-Arab music television channel.
- Advised various joint ventures and international companies regarding tender participation.
- Advised various international companies for setting up subsidiaries or branches in Qatar and the Qatar Science and Technology Park, including handling of set up and post set up legal support.
- Tender from Ministry of Defense of State of Qatar Regarding Supply of Weapons for Qatar Armed Forces
- Advised and negotiated for a number of premium galley producers and aircraft interiors suppliers on supply and maintenance agreements with Qatar Airways and dozens of other airlines worldwide.
Ras Al Khaimah, Emirate of
- Advised various international companies in the area of on setting up subsidiaries or branch offices in Ras Al Khaimah Free Trade Zone and RAKIA, including post set up legal support on leases and labour law issues.
- Advised and negotiated for a leading metal profile company for roofs, facades and ceilings on AED 12 million asset sales agreement related to a warehouse located on Governmental owned land in RAKIA with Iranian purchaser.
- Represented German closed investment funds on dispute with shareholders, restructuring of local holding, investment and management companies for construction of hospital.
- Assisted chairman of arbitral tribunal regarding a dispute under the rules of the GCC Commercial Arbitration Center between a main contractor and sub-contractor for construction of a refinery in Saudi Arabic (Claim for US$ 20M), and another dispute between an international and a local bank arising from an acquisition transaction (Claim of US$ 39M).
- Advised international engineering company for planning, development and production of all types of plastic caps and closures on a joint venture project with Jamjoom Medical Industries Co. Ltd. (JMICO), King Abdullah Economic City (KAEC) to supply cosmetics industry.
- Represented and negotiated for a leading international market research company in negotiating a USD 40 mio. contract with Saudi Media Measurement Company to introduce a new television audience measurement (TAM) service in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Advised metal profile company for roofs, facades and ceilings on public tender to King Abdul-Aziz Centre for Knowledge and Culture, ITHRA Project in Dhahran, for façade works & exterior and interior glazing works, including drafting consortium contract.
- Advised Saudi and German Sponsors for a US$ 150 mio. General Hospital Turnkey-Project in Jeddah.
- Advised on the establishment of a transportation company in Saudi Arabia for construction sector.
- Advised Japanese Motor Corporation on a joint and several surety ship agreement with the Saudi parent company for export business to Syria.
- Legal counsel to a Saudi commercial agent regarding compensation for termination of a consultancy contract with an international medical care company.
- Advised a major German bank on a US$ 100 million structured trade finance agreement
- Representing a ME bank in connection w/ investments in US and an investment advisor to a Saudi family in connection private equity investments worldwide.
- Drafting and advising on commercial distributorship agreement for major Japanese Motor Corporation.
- Advised Franco-German Contractor regarding delivery and installation of control and monitoring systems as well as of communication systems for a water pipeline Al-Jubayl/Riyadh.
- Advised various international companies for setting up subsidiaries or branches in Saudi Arabia, including handling of set up and post set up legal support.
- Advised and represented international consortium on Public Tender and dispute with Public Establishment of Electricity for Generation and Transmission (PEEGT), Damascus, related to the Deir Ali Combined Cycle Power Plant and a contract value of EUR 386 million.
- Legal representation of Syrian agent against German principal on dispute over Bid Bond issued to the Syrian Ministry of Construction for the supply of cement before high court of Frankfurt am Main and the higher regional court.
- Termination of a distributorship agreement for major Japanese motorcycle producer.
- Advised the Tunisian government in connection with its evaluation of IPP policies and contracting practices.
- Serving as project sponsor’s counsel in connection with efforts to develop an independent power project that would use off‑shore natural gas and sell electricity to the state‑owned electric utility, including advising on Power Sales Agreement and Project Implementation Agreement with, and sovereign guarantee from, the Tunisian Central Government.
- Advised the Public Electricity Corporation in connection with its commercialization. Tasks include drafting of the electricity law and preparation of the company law. We will also prepare the applicable license and concession arrangements.
- Advised a major Yemeni industrial and commercial group on its international investments and trading interests.
- Advised Construction Company based in the U.A.E. with 49% foreign ownership on non-exclusive commercial agency agreement for Yemen.